Corona Virus / CONVID-19 is a fast spreading respiratory illness which spreads through small droplets dispersed in air by an infected person through coughing and sneezing. Objective of this advisory is to alert and sensitize health-care authorities to strengthen level of preparedness for prevention, control and management of novel coronavirus COVID-19 and personal to exercise care in normal daily routine activities with the view to minimize chances of getting affected.
How Corona Virus infects humans?
- Mode of Transmission. Substantial evidences are suggestive of human to human transmission as infection. Droplets produced through cough or sneezing may land on objects and surfaces around the patient and if the contaminated surface is touched then there is much possibility of carrying the virus to eyes, nose or mouth through contaminated hands.
- Signs and Symptoms. Observed clinical signs and symptoms of this illness include fever, cough, and difficulty in breathing. Chest radiographs show invasive pneumonic infiltration in both lungs. Complications may also occur due to weak immunity of individuals.
- Main management of patients is supportive in which treatment is done according to the symptoms and complaints.
- If the virus is exposed to a temperature of 26-27o C, it will be killed, as it does not live in hot regions. Drinking hot water and sun exposure will do the trick. Individuals should stay away from ice cream, cold beverages and consuming cold food.
How can we avoid getting infected by Virus?
- Precautionary Measures. Generally these are same as for seasonal Influenza, in which the standard precautions are being followed by covering nose / mouth with masks by suspected individuals and ensuring hand hygiene by using personal protective equipment (PPE) like alcoholic hand-sanitizers by all. Similarly, by cleaning and disinfecting the frequently touched surfaces and objects, such as doorknobs, telephone receivers etc, will reduce the chances of transmission. Other measures include:-
- Show restraint to hand shake and hugging, especially with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory flu like symptoms such as coughing and sneezing.
- Regularly and thoroughly wash / clean hands with soap for 20 seconds is recommended. Use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
- Do not share towels.
- Maintain at least 01 meter (03 feet) distance from a symptomatic person (who is coughing or sneezing).
- Follow good respiratory hygiene that is covering your mouth and nose with bent elbow or tissue while coughing or sneezing, then disposing off the used tissue immediately.
- Maintain good hydration and take sufficient rest and sleep to boost immunity.
- Avoid visiting crowded places and congregations; better is to stay at home.
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu like symptoms and avoid visiting COVID-19 case in hospital or at his / her home.
- Avoid visiting meat market, seafood market, live bird / wildlife / livestock markets. Avoid unprotected contact with live / wild / farm animals.
- Thoroughly wash and cook fruits, vegetables, meat and eggs.
- In case of flu-like symptoms or fever / cough / difficulty in breathing, immediately contact health authorities and designated healthcare facilities of the area.
Few Useful Techniques
- Coronavirus is large in size where the cell diameter is 400-500 micro and for this reason any mask prevents its entry.
- The virus does not settle in the air but is grounded, so it is not transmitted by air.
- Coronavirus when it falls on a metal surface, it will live for 12 hours, so wash hands with soap and water well enough.
- Corona virus when it falls on the fabric remains alive for 9 hours, so washing clothes or being exposed to the sun for two hours meets the purpose of killing it.
- The virus lives on the hands for 10 minutes, so putting an alcohol sterilizer in the pocket meets the purpose of prevention.
- Gargle with warm and salt water kills the germs at tonsils and prevents them from leaking into the lungs.
- Quarantine Wards/Isolation Wards. Isolation/ quarantine of suspected persons are essential to avoid spread to masses. Government is working on having isolation wards for such patients and makes them quarantine for specific time-period till the suspected patients are shifted to hospitals.
- Travelers should report back to health facilities for screening out. Virus developing signs / symptoms are fever; cough or difficulty in breathing will appear within 14 x days of contamination.
- Read More: Origin of Corona Virus; UN Has To Settle It