Exec Summary: The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir
It is a memoir by John Bolton, who served as National Security Advisor for U.S. President Donald Trump from 2018 to 2019. The book is widely debated in the world.
John Bolton’s book ridicules Trump’s approach to foreign policy and security. Bolton also wrote against former U.S. president Obama. He is a well-known writer. His reputation is a keen observer, a military hawk and sworn enemy of Iran. When he decided to expose Trump through a book, reportedly he was paid an advance of $2 million by the publisher/interest group. Trump administration tried to block publication of the book through court but failed.
- Bolton says Trump ‘begged’ Chinese President Xi Jinping to step up agricultural purchases of soybeans and wheat in the electoral outcome. Trump wanted help from China to win re-election.
- Mr Bolton wrote, “Trump said that Xi should go ahead with building the concentration camps for Uyghur Muslims, which Trump thought was exactly the right thing to do.”
- Trump suggested he wanted to serve more than two terms like Xi Jinping.
- Trump didn’t know the U.K. was a nuclear power and or Finland was part of Russia! He was also very close to quitting NATO.
- When Iran downed U.S. drone, Bolton and other hawks demanded disproportional response/severe punishment to Iran. Trump asked the causality assessment, and he was told around 150-170 Iranian would be killed. John Bolton ridiculed Trump, who said too many body bags, No to the operation.
- Bolton says the president has no policy, no principles. All he cares about is power.
Reviews and Comments
There were numerous reviews, talk shows and opinion articles on the book all over the world in prominent media outlets. It looked there was a sponsored and well-coordinated campaign against Trump. Subsequent to the boob launch, Indians analysts, in particular, said Trump administration is unpredictable and hence not trustworthy. The fair assessment is that the book lacks substance, and given hype by sponsored media.