India/ Indian Muslims/ Indian Express
Higher share of Dalits, tribals, Muslims in prison than numbers outside in India
- The data, for the year 2019, shows that among the marginalized groups, Muslims are the one community with more under trials than convicts.
- At 6,098, the largest number of Muslim convicts were in UP, followed by West Bengal (2,369) and Maharashtra (2,114). The maximum Muslim undertrials were in UP (21,139), followed by Bihar (4,758) and Madhya Pradesh (2,947)
India/Defense/ Hindustan Times
Ahead of PM Modi’s visit, strategic Atal Rohtang Tunnel ready for inauguration
- Atal Rohtang Tunnel that will connect Manali to Lahaul and Spiti valley in Himachal Pradesh throughout the year has been completed and will be ready for inauguration in two weeks
- It will reduce the distance between Manali and Leh by 46 kilometres and reduce travel time by 4.5 hours.
- The tunnel will provide all weather connectivity to remote border areas of Himachal Pradesh and Ladakh
India/Defense/ Economic Times
India to start bidding process by Oct to procure 6 submarines costing Rs 55,000 crore
India is all set to launch the bidding process by next month for a Rs 55,000-crore mega project to build six conventional submarines for the Indian Navy https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/defence/india-to-start-bidding-process-by-oct-to-procure-6-submarines-costing-rs-55000-crore/articleshow/77834361.cms
Afghanistan/US-Taliban deal/ NYT
Taliban Violated Afghan Deal with Shelling of American Bases, U.S. Officials Say By Thomas Gibbons-Neff
- A Taliban commander denied that the group had carried out any strikes on American bases in Helmand and said the group would investigate.
- France and Australia do not want those members of the Taliban accused of attacks on their citizens released
- United States has said it has reason to believe two of the Taliban fighters to be released would join the Islamic State
Iran/EU/ Financial Tribune
EU Committed to Nuclear Deal as Key Security Element – by Web Desk
- The EU remains committed to implementing the Iran nuclear deal as a matter of respecting international agreements and of the bloc’s shared international security.
- Iran’s Arab neighbors, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and the UAE, in a recent letter urged the UNSC to renew the arms embargo.
Iran / US / Eurasia Review
Iran Counter Suing To Block US Seizing $1.7 Billion In Assets by Tasnim News Agency
- Deputy Governor of Iranian Central Bank said Iran was taking legal steps to counter a lawsuit filed in a US court by creditors seeking to seize $1.7 billion of its assets held by Deutsche Boerse’s Clearstream unit.
- In 2020, a Luxembourg court said Iranian assets worth $1.6 billion held by Clearstream as compensation for alleged terror victims of the September 11, 2001 attacks will not be transferred to the US amid Washington’s pressures.
US / Intelligence / Washington Times
Intelligence chief accuses Congress of leaking of classified info by Mike Glenn
- Accusing members of Congress of leaking classified information “within minutes” of receiving it, the Director of National Intelligence decided to rely on written security reports rather than in-person briefings in the future.
- A number of members of Congress have leaked classified information for political purposes to create false narratives. The regular leaks are putting intelligence sources and methods in jeopardy. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/aug/30/john-ratcliff-accuses-congress-leaking-classified-/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS
Israel/ Diplomacy / The Brussels Times
Israel holds secret talks with Arab leaders on normalising ties by Web Desk
- Netanyahu say he had already had talks with leaders of Sudan, Chad and Oman. While these meetings have been publicized, there “are many more unpublicized meetings with Arab and Muslim leaders”.
- The UAE and Israel are separated geographically by KSA, and according to the Israeli press, the first flight by the Israeli carrier is scheduled to pass through Saudi air space. https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/129198/israel-holds-secret-talks-with-arab-leaders-on-normalising-ties/
Pakistan/ Pak-Saudi Relations/ Aljazeera
Pakistan’s balancing act may be failing by Abdul Basit & Zahid Shahab Ahmed (Al Jazeera)
Today, Saudi Arabia has several reasons to value its deepening partnership with India more than its historic ties to Pakistan. While the annual trade between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia stands at around $3.6bn, Saudi-India bilateral trade is worth more than $30bn. https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/pakistan-balancing-act-failing-200828164701825.html
Pakistan Air Force Delves into Artificial Intelligence Development (Quwa)
The scope of CENTAIC’s activities are not yet known to the public, but Pakistan Air force is researching into a number of key fields in AI, such as big data, machine learning, deep learning, predictive analytics and, potentially, natural language processing (NLP).
Pakistan/Satellite Imagery/ (WeForNews)
Pakistan buys China’s Jilin-1 satellite data
- Intelligence sources said that Pakistan has entered into a contract with China to procure Jilin-1 satellite data for 2020.
- The Jilin constellation comprises a network of ten satellites in orbit with the capability of global coverage and it can revisit any location twice a day. https://www.wefornews.com/pakistan-buys-chinas-jilin-1-satellite-data/